COMOtion Sports Takes # 10

COMOtion Sports Takes  # 10
The Team Organization Paid Off With An Easy Cruise To The Finish Line

Sunday, August 9, 2009

DNFed

After 7 years of racing without a single mechanical failure, and DNF, Snowmass 2009 was the one. The same race 2 years ago forced an 8 mile bike push to finish but this was a plain ole DNF. Climbing out of the sawtoothed singletrack on the first lap, I found myself in a way too big front chainring and instead of calming down and downshifting, I stood up on the pedals and "CLINK" broke a power link barely missing the nut rupture associated with no-chaindrive-syndrome (NCS).

Confidence has been so high this year with the top level Yeti, Shimano and Continental trail-ware, I abandoned tools, spare parts and inflators altogether for the 2 hour ride. Gambled and lost.
There was little sympathy from team members as I whined about my mis-fortune and complete stupidity for not carying a single 2 oz. power-link.


Snake-eyes....you lose.





Highlight of the weekend was seeing the man..Lance Armstrong in the flesh and sweating like the rest of us. Turns out he looks like every other skinny racer on the start line but early on in the contest, he proved there was little competition for the Texan now sporting the Colorado State Championship jersey.

While I was licking my wounds at the top of the Short/Long lap divide, Lance came by me on his second lap through a choppy technical section and basically flew over the trail debris, across the service road and on to the lower section in a smooth flow making it look easy.
But he had a chain.

Just another day at work for L A.

Following day's Super D was a little better considering I finished without a mechanical, gained 1 spot in the series competition and beat Frenchie because he crashed. I did not break any bones or loose any flesh. I also did not suffered a position loss in the MSC Series XC competition since the locals beat everyone up.

Maybe I'm a lucky guy after all.


Thanks to Papa Taylor for the cool Snowmass photos.

1 comment:

CT said...

I wanted to see Lance ride by! You are so lucky! I never saw him.