COMOtion Sports Takes # 10

COMOtion Sports Takes  # 10
The Team Organization Paid Off With An Easy Cruise To The Finish Line

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Too Much Information!!!!

Gearing up for the Sunday Boulder way road ride I once again marvel at how complicated it is to ride a bicycle. The actual riding part is pretty much like I remembered as a kid but the technology to verify,measure and record your effort is nearing ridiculous.
1. Heart Rate monitor-Polar Gizmo gives me max heart rate, average heart rate, time in zones, total time and hopefuly an alarm if my heart quits beating altogether.

2. Flight Deck cycling computer- Mr. Shimano tells me speed, mileage, cadence, highest speed, average speed and what gear I'm in. Lap and odometer stuff too.




3. Garmin GPS- Tracks route, time, speed, elevation, pace, total elevation gain and loss and more. Sunrise and sunset info also available.









4. Ipod-Lonely sections of county roads fly by jamm'n to Alicia Keyes, Eagles and Eric Clapton. Tempo quickens for hill approaches with Van Halen.

Overlaying GPS maps on Sunday's ride shows a casual 58 mile route from Broomfield to Niwot, NW to Nelson Road and Hwy 36 and back via Hwy 7.







The start and stop of the route is etched in digital history. Except I did NOT run over that car in the coul de sac on the cool down!!
Despite these gadgets...my younger team racers will brand me as "techno-retarded" because I don't use the $3,000 Cycle Ops watt-o-meters!
Not yet..

1 comment:

Sandblogger said...

I trade you the GPS for my powermeter?